Zoom with the LSOP Team, Live!
Everyone is welcome to join—any age, any location. Hop on the Zoom with us!
Curious about how magnets work? Wonder why the sky is blue? Looking for some cool science experiments you can try with materials you already have at home?
So are we! Join the LSOP team every Friday at 10:30 AM. We’ll do a series of experiments on a different topic each week, and show you how you can try these yourself.
And do let us know what topics you’d like for us to cover next. What are you curious about?
Friday, May 7: Animals!
There is a lot of interesting science behind how animals see the world, move through the world, communicate with each other, and generally do what they do. Geckos use static electricity to climb walls, birds can see light beyond the end of the rainbow, and bees can sense electric fields—and they use this sense to find promising flowers.
We are going to show some cool science demonstrations during this program, but we’d also like to feature videos from students. Do you have a pet that does a cool trick, or do you have a cool video of an animal doing something amazing? If so, please share these videos with us. We’ll share as many as we can as part of our next show!
Submit your videos here:
And then be sure to join us on Zoom this Friday for the show!
LSOP Live: Animals!
Friday, May 7
10:30 – 11:00 AM
If you are a K-12 teacher and would like to have your class featured on a future episode, please get in touch!
Little Shop Live in the Classroom
Little Shop Live has been bringing a program each week to the homes of students doing online or hybrid instruction. As schools return to in-person instruction, we want to come back to the classroom with you!
We’ll keep the same time and the same general format, but with a few changes:
- We’ll pick topics matched to science teaching standards. Do you have a topic you’d like us to treat? Let us know!
- We’ll choose a classroom to be special guests for the day—we’ll give you an activity to do, or let you come up with your own, and we’ll feature you!
- We’ll provide a resource page for teachers (and students and families) to see small video clips we made and to find additional information.
Do you have an idea or a suggestion for us? Please do contact us and share your ideas!
How LSOP Live Works
Making a safe science experience for everyone!
We have set up LSOP Live as a Zoom meeting so we can see you, and we can take comments and suggestions from our participants. Your energy is what makes the Little Shop what it is! The more excited you are, the more ideas you share, the better it is for everyone.
But we want to be sure that everyone can enjoy every minute of LSOP Live without worrying about excess chatter or a cluttered chat, so we’ve set up our Zoom meetings to be safe and secure:
- We want you to be able to communicate with us, to send us questions or suggestions—so the chat field will be available for you! But anything you type goes only to us; the other participants will not see your comments.
- We will monitor the chat, and we will have a person dedicated to watching the chat and adjusting meeting settings as needed.
- Everyone will be muted—so you can ooh and aah and make as much noise as you like without bothering other people. If we want to give someone a chance to talk, we will unmute them.
- We will spotlight the program video, and keep other people from sharing their screens.
- We have set a limit on the number of participants. We can take up to 300 participants. This will let us keep careful track of everything that is going on. If you aren’t able to get in, you needn’t miss all of the fun—you can watch the video that we’ll post.
- If people are disruptive, we will remove them.
We have also made some upgrades to our audio and video equipment so we will have a better looking and better sounding program than ever.
We have been impressed by the energy and enthusiasm of our participants, and we look forward to seeing you all on the next installment of LSOP Live!
By request from a local school: Force and Motion! When you jump in the air, it’s not your legs that push you upward—it’s actually the ground! And you know you have to push something to get it moving—but you also have to push to make it stop. In this episode, we make things float and […]
By request from a local school: Invisible Forces! You can’t see gravity—but you can certainly see its effects. And it works at a distance—you don’t need to be in contact with the earth to feel its pull. We say that the earth has a gravitational field around it—and if you are in the field, you […]
What makes clouds form? And why are they white? How does the spin of the earth lead to the spin of a storm? Why do some storms make lightning? And how does lightning lead to thunder? We answer all of these questions—and more!—on our first show of 2021!
This is the #1 request we’ve had for a show: Animals! We are be joined in the studio by some animals, and we also show some videos of animals doing what they do. We got some great videos from PSD students that are featured: horses, snakes, eagles—and lots of dogs and cats.