Air, Water & Clouds
Feedback on Writing
Engage / Explore / Explain: Air, Water & Clouds, Part I
- If hot air rises, why is it cold in the mountains: Review
- Make and launch a hot air balloon
- Explain: Buoyant forces, sinking & floating
Engage / Explore / Explain: Air, Water & Clouds, Part II
- Do cities affect the weather? (Cloud in a bottle)
- Extra: Do a laser slice of the cloud
Engage / Explore / Explain: Water, Energy and Phase Transitions
- Transferring energy with water vapor (Breathing on your hands): What is the opposite of sweating?
- Extra: Transferring energy with water vapor (Double boiler demo)
- How can freezing make something warmer?
- Do plants sweat?
- Relative humidity
- Discussion: Why do we often get a period of warm, clear days after the first killing frost?
Engage / Explore / Explain: Molecules, Energy and Phase Transitions
- Why can warm air “hold” more moisture than cold air
- Hand boiler
- Dice exercise
- Explain: Molecular speeds, vapor pressure
Write and upload answers to the following questions:
- What are the main lessons from this session’s activities and discussions?
- What questions or uncertainties about this material do you still have?
- What did this session make you wonder about—what questions did it raise?