Introductions & Zoom Details
Course & Content Overview
- Overview of course structure / assignment / credit / instructional approach / mixing / questions and suggestions
Engage / Explore / Explain: Energy & Radiation
- Day 1 slides: Energy, light & matter
- Energy concepts: What is energy?
- The basic energy model
- Numbers & efficiency: How much energy does it take to perform a task?
- Electrical appliances: Measuring energy and power
Engage / Explore
- Energy and light: Writing with light
Explain: EM Spectrum
- Question: How big is light?
- Scales of energy and wavelength
- Interaction of electromagnetic waves with matter
Engage / Explore / Explain: EM Radiation
- The visible spectrum: Using the rainbow glasses
- Photon energy: What is the difference between red light and blue light?
- Beyond the rainbow, part I (Infrared filter): What’s beyond the rainbow?
- Beyond the rainbow, part II (UV laser pointer + stuff that fluoresces)
- Astronomy connection: Would you get a sunburn on Mars?
- Thermal sensor: What does it measure?
- Things to try for next week
Evaluate: Today’s Writing Assignment
- Write and upload answers to the following questions:
- What are the main lessons from this session’s activities and discussions?
- What questions or uncertainties about this material do you still have?
- What did this session make you wonder about—what questions did it raise?