Zoom with the LSOP Team, Live!
Everyone is welcome to join—any age, any location. Hop on the Zoom with us!
Curious about how magnets work? Wonder why the sky is blue? Looking for some cool science experiments you can try with materials you already have at home?
So are we! Join the LSOP team on Fridays at 11:00 AM as we work out the answers to these questions, and more. Upcoming episodes:
- Friday, September 24: Get Moving!
- Friday, October 8: Please Try This At Home: Water & Air
- Friday, October 29: Spooky Science
- Friday, November 19: Physics of the Body
And do let us know what topics you’d like us to cover next. What are you curious about?
Friday, November 19
Physics of the Body
Friday, November 19
11:00 – 11:30 AM
There is a lot of physics that underlies the way your body works, and we’ll explore 20 different cool experiments that illustrate how principles of electricity, sound, motion, and light are are at work in your body.
If you are a K-12 teacher and would like to suggest topics for future episodes, or if you’d like for us to feature your class, please get in touch!
Little Shop Live in the Classroom
When instruction was hybrid or remote, Little Shop Live brought some science into to the homes of students. As schools return to in-person instruction, we want to come back to the classroom with you!
We’ll keep the same time and the same general format, but with a few changes:
- We’ll pick topics matched to science teaching standards. Do you have a topic you’d like us to treat? Let us know!
- We’ll do episodes every few weeks, which will give us enough time to come up with some truly cool things.
- We’d love to connect with classes. Do you want the LSOP Live team to visit your class, or to include you over Zoom? We can do that…. Let us know!
- We’ll provide a resource page for teachers (and students and families) to see small video clips we made and to find additional information.
Do you have an idea or a suggestion for us? Please do contact us and share your ideas!
How LSOP Live Works
Making a safe science experience for everyone!
We have set up LSOP Live as a Zoom meeting so we can see you, and we can take comments and suggestions from our participants. Your energy is what makes the Little Shop what it is! The more excited you are, the more ideas you share, the better it is for everyone.
But we want to be sure that everyone can enjoy every minute of LSOP Live without worrying about excess chatter or a cluttered chat, so we’ve set up our Zoom meetings to be safe and secure:
- We want you to be able to communicate with us, to send us questions or suggestions—so the chat field will be available for you! But anything you type goes only to us; the other participants will not see your comments.
- We will monitor the chat, and we will have a person dedicated to watching the chat and adjusting meeting settings as needed.
- Everyone will be muted—so you can ooh and aah and make as much noise as you like without bothering other people. If we want to give someone a chance to talk, we will unmute them.
- We will spotlight the program video, and keep other people from sharing their screens.
- We have set a limit on the number of participants. We can take up to 300 participants. This will let us keep careful track of everything that is going on. If you aren’t able to get in, you needn’t miss all of the fun—you can watch the video that we’ll post.
- If people are disruptive, we will remove them.
We have also made some upgrades to our audio and video equipment so we will have a better looking and better sounding program than ever.
We have been impressed by the energy and enthusiasm of our participants, and we look forward to seeing you all on the next installment of LSOP Live!
In this episode, we’ll share 20+ activities you can try at home or in the classroom, all while learning about the properties of water and air. We’ll make a rubber duck float half a foot above the surface of a fish tank, we’ll make a light bulb float in mid-air, we’ll make coins disappear, we’ll […]
By request from a local school: Force and Motion! When you jump in the air, it’s not your legs that push you upward—it’s actually the ground! And you know you have to push something to get it moving—but you also have to push to make it stop. In this episode, we make things float and […]
By request from a local school: Invisible Forces! You can’t see gravity—but you can certainly see its effects. And it works at a distance—you don’t need to be in contact with the earth to feel its pull. We say that the earth has a gravitational field around it—and if you are in the field, you […]
What makes clouds form? And why are they white? How does the spin of the earth lead to the spin of a storm? Why do some storms make lightning? And how does lightning lead to thunder? We answer all of these questions—and more!—on our first show of 2021!
This is the #1 request we’ve had for a show: Animals! We are be joined in the studio by some animals, and we also show some videos of animals doing what they do. We got some great videos from PSD students that are featured: horses, snakes, eagles—and lots of dogs and cats.